The Garden of the Gulf Museum in Montague is home to many treasures. The building is one of the most impressive buildings on PEI, a brick and sandstone Post Office and Customs House completed in 1888.
In 1884, the federal government realized a more formal building was needed in Montague. Ottawa’s Dominion architect, Thomas Fuller (1823-1898) designed this truly elegant building. During his tenure as chief architect, Fuller saw 74 new post offices constructed across Canada. Montague, Summerside and Charlottetown had new post offices built in the 1880s.
Charlottetown architects William Critchlow Harris and David Stirling were the overseers for construction and L.A. Wilmot of New Brunswick was the contractor. The first floor housed the Post Office, the second floor had the Customs House, and the third floor was an apartment for the caretaker.
The land was acquired from the estate of Martin Lambert and sandstone was quarried from the banks of the Montague River for the foundation and trim work. Bricks were fired in Montague by Robert Stewart out of Island clay.
564 Main Street, P.O. Box 1237
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Garden of the Gulf Museum